My most treasured email that I get in my inbox everyday is my Daily Wisdom from Tiny Buddha. Some days I quickly scan through the email. Some days I reread every word 10 times so I can absorb every ounce of what it is saying. Today’s Daily Wisdom is about thanking your 2011 self (read it here)
Instead of looking forward to 2012 and focusing on how we want to be better, the founder of Tiny Buddha is taking a moment to thank herself for 2011.
What am I thanking myself for in 2011?
The year 2011 has been about defining my own strength both physically and emotionally. Physically I’ve pushed myself to train for a full marathon, to carry a baby, and to define my own level of strong. Emotionally I’ve learned that strong is not defined by wearing armor. Strong means allowing yourself to crack and finding beauty in the spaces in between.
To the physical me:
- Thank you for laughing at me when I trained for my full marathon on an unbalanced body. The lessons I learned from my stress fracture are far greater than the reward for crossing the finish line of the marathon.
- Thank you for getting pregnant one week after going off of birth control. THANK YOU! THANK YOU!
- Thank you for an easy pregnancy.
To the emotional me:
- Thank you for exposing yourself to your weaknesses without running away.
- Thank you for allowing yourself to grow when you have felt most vulnerable.
- Thank you for taking the time to value knowledge.
- Thank you for making decisions for yourself and your family that are supported by knowledge and nature.
- Thank you for taking 30 consecutive days out of the year to practice yoga and meditation daily.
- Thank you for letting your ego go and allowing a baby to grow inside of you in the healthiest, most natural environment you know how to create.
- Thank you for recognizing that you need support and that you can trust support.
I’m incredibly thankful for the great year that I’ve experienced. I’m looking forward to 2012 and everything life throws my way.
To thank myself a little more and to continue with my own personal growth, I treated myself to a new set of mala beads today! My mother-in-law gave me a gift card to a wonderful local yoga store so the gift really came from her and my father-in-law.
I have a feeling the year 2012 will be about defining openness in my life. To remind myself of this daily, I now own a turquoise, jasper, and bone full mala. Turquoise Jasper is a nurturing and peaceful stone that is said to promote gentleness, tranquility, comfort, wholeness, and healing. It is believed to stabilize and balance the emotions and is also known for its protective powers to drive away evil spirits. Not only do I love the meaning behind it, it is also beautiful. It feels so good to have a set around my neck again.
Cheers to a great 2011! Cheers to a new 2012!